HLN Introduces Support for Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine in its Award Winning ICE Open Source Immunization Forecaster
On March 3, 2021, HLN released a new version (v1.28.1) of the Immunization Calculation Engine (ICE) in support of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. ICE is a state-of-the-art open source software system that provides clinical decision support for immunizations for use in Immunization Information Systems (IIS), Electronic Health Record (EHR), and Personal Health Record (PHR) Systems.
- Version 1.28.1 includes:
- Support for the new Janssen COVID-19 vaccine (CVX 212). ICE support for COVID-19 Vaccine Group (includes Pfizer, Moderna, and the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine).
- Updated General Rule “Select Adjuvant Product Interval” to remove the absolute minimum interval of 24 days. The recommended interval of 28 days remains.
- Please see the Release Notes for more details.
- The ICE Implementation Guide has also been updated with the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine CVX code (CVX 212).
- A Google Sheet with the same ICE code systems and codes is available as an added convenience.
The full software release is available for download at https://cdsframework.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ICE/pages/18972704/Downloads
Plans for COVID-19 Support in ICE
Once a vaccine has been approved for use by the FDA (either Expanded Access, EUA, or full licensure), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) holds an emergency meeting and publishes recommendations in a very quick time frame (i.e., days). HLN releases a version of ICE that includes updated COVID-19 forecasting as early as possible. The initial release contains COVID-19 logic that is known at the time of the release. As additional, relevant information on COVID-19 becomes available from official sources, HLN will continue to release additional versions of ICE, at appropriate times.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.