HLN is a results-oriented consulting practice engaging a superior team of consultants, technicians, and managers. We work from the comfort of our own homes using a team-centered approach, but communicate diligently within the company and with our clients to collaborate on interesting, meaningful public sector projects. Our core values – service to our clients, collaboration, social consciousness, intellectual rigor, trust and respect – ensure that we keep our eyes on the ball by providing the highest value to our clients without compromising our integrity. We value each individual for the contributions s/he makes. HLN is always looking for bright, talented people to join its staff either part-time or full time, so come join HLN if you are looking for a flexible, engaging, meaningful experience.
To apply please send a resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current openings include:
Senior Business and Quality Assurance Analyst
HLN is looking for a Senior Business and Quality Assurance (QA) Analyst to support a variety of projects related to immunization, electronic case reporting and other public health domain areas, including our clinical decision support (CDS) tools and services. This analyst will work with one or more small teams and across multiple projects to accomplish a variety of tasks.
- Deliverables and SDLC: Support activities and responsible for producing deliverables at each phase of the software development lifecycle for projects that use waterfall or agile methodology.
- Requirements, Use Cases and Business Processes: Facilitate requirements gathering with clients and stakeholders and develop use cases to understand as-is and to-be processes. Analyze requirements and assist in re-engineering of business processes.
- Documentation: Develop documentation including use cases, diagrams, flowcharts, and mock-ups to depict business processes, data flow, data models, and screen designs for public health and CDS software tools.
- Specifications: Translate requirements to functional and technical specifications for developers. Translate clinical and public health rules to CDS system functionality and specifications. Work with stakeholders to validate specifications, software design, and clinical rules. Work with developers to clarify and communicate specifications.
- CDS Rules: Support the development, specifications, and maintenance of CDS rules in multiple jurisdictions and in multiple domain areas.
- Testing: Develop test plans and test cases. Conduct extensive testing and execute test cases to validate software functionality and clinical decision responses. Create test suites for different public health domains including reportable conditions and immunizations. Maintain detailed documentation of test cases and results. Work directly with clients to support user acceptance testing (UAT) and to validate implementation and/or integration of HLN solutions in their environments. Write detailed bug reports and work with developers through fixes and retesting.
- Training: Conduct training for clients, end-users, trainers, and staff. Prepare training documentation and presentations to support training activities.
- General BA activities: Create agendas and document meeting minutes. Organize and maintain accessible project documentation with an understanding of document versioning. Conduct research related to project objectives, including strategies, solutions, and public health issues. Support other project activities as required.
- Extensive experience working on and producing deliverables for every phase of the software development life cycle.
- Experience with all of the responsibilities described above, with an emphasis on requirements gathering, documentation, and thorough QA testing. Previous business analyst and QA analyst experience is a must.
- Experience and understanding of databases and data models. Knowledge of information systems, system interfaces and data exchange.
Prior experience with the following a plus:
- Working knowledge of HL7 v2 and C-CDA. Familiarity with HL7 implementation guides. Experience examining, evaluating, and debugging HL7 messages for immunization, case reporting, laboratory results, and other clinical domains. Familiarity with HL7 vMR preferred.
- Working knowledge of standard terminology including SNOMED-CT, ICD-9, ICD-10, and LOINC.
- Working knowledge of context and rules surrounding clinical decision support for immunizations systems, electronic health record systems, and public health case reporting.
- Knowledge of detailed CDSi rules for childhood, adult, and travel vaccines.
- Knowledge of public health disease reporting and case reporting business processes, including data requirements and interoperability
- Working knowledge of immunization information system functionality.
The ideal person would possess the following core skills and training:
- Able to work remotely from a home office
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented and commitment to a high-level of accuracy
- Strong analytical thinking. Able to problem-solve and proactively investigate and resolve issues.
- Proactive in completing assignments and in removing impediments towards producing deliverables.
- Experience facilitating work groups, in person and virtually
- Able to work independently and to collaborate well in small teams, across multiple projects
Position could be on an employment or contractor basis. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Full Stack Senior Java Developer
HLN is seeking a talented Full Stack Senior Java Developer to join our project teams related to immunization and other public health domain areas. The applicant must have strong enterprise application development experience – with Java EE technologies in particular. He or she is interested in applying a broad spectrum of skills to the entire software development lifecycle and to our systems administration team to ensure smooth operations of test and production services. As an integral member of our team, he/she will also help us improve our software development methodologies, quality assurance (QA) processes, and system operations. He or she will work within one or more small teams to accomplish a variety of tasks, including:
- Support the full lifecycle of application development in a small team environment employing agile methodologies
- Analyze and design the technical implementation of specified applications; develop design documents, program specifications, effort estimates, and schedules
- Develop and test program source code and procedures
- Operate, maintain and support production servers and application services
- Support and mentor other team members
- Recommend and improve team methodologies
- Prepare documentation as needed
The ideal candidate has both strong software development and system administration skills, is a critical thinker, and is able to work independently and/or a part of small teams. He or she possesses the following core skills and training:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science or Management Information Systems
- At least 5 years of Java enterprise applications development experience
- Extensive experience with Java/JEE enterprise frameworks. Up-to-date on latest JDK 8 features; EJB; web services, REST, SOAP; object-relational database development, JPA, Hibernate, SQL; XML, JSON; JAXB; Drools; JasperReports
- Strong database development experience. SQL; Stored Procedures; Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Experience deploying, operating and tuning Java EE application servers, including Tomcat, GlassFish, JBoss/WildFly and other application servers
- Strong scripting skills
- Strong experience with source code management tools, preferably Git and Mercurial
- Detailed knowledge of Linux programming and operating environments
- Linux system administration experience is a plus
- Database administration experience is a plus. Working knowledge of operating and tuning databases (preferably Oracle and PostgreSQL)
- Experience working in Healthcare IT settings is a plus. Experience with HL7 messaging is a plus.Ability to participate and interact productively with both highly-skilled technical specialists and non-technical professionals
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate well in small teams
- Is highly motivated and a “self-starter”
- Ability to work remotely from a home office
Position may be on an employment or contractor basis. Salary is commensurate with experience.