On November 24, 2021, HLN released a new version (v1.32.1) of the Immunization Calculation Engine (ICE) in support of updates to the COVID-19 vaccine. ICE is a state-of-the-art open source software system that provides clinical decision support for immunizations for use in Immunization Information Systems (IIS), Electronic Health Record (EHR), and Personal Health Record (PHR) Systems.
Version 1.32.1 includes the following additions and updates. Please see the Release Notes for details.
- COVID-19 Updates:
- COVID-19 Pfizer Pediatric Dose (5 through 11 years old)
- Evaluation of Janssen booster dose as Valid
- Added COVAXIN (CVX 502) as a WHO-approved vaccine for EUA
- An updated Implementation Guide with the following new codes:
- CVX 218 – vaccine code for the COVID-19 Pfizer pediatric vaccine
- BOOSTER_DOSE – new recommendation reason code to indicate that the recommendation is for a booster dose
The full software release is available for download at https://cdsframework.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ICE/pages/18972704/Downloads
Note about upcoming ICE release (scheduled December 2021)
- As always, HLN is actively monitoring all news and updates in regards to new and existing COVID-19 vaccines. Currently, we are working on adding additional support and logic (based on latest published guidance) in ICE to handle the following:
- Updated Booster Dose Rules
- Updated Additional Dose Rules
- Updated Absolute Minimum Intervals and Absolute Minimum Ages
Plans for COVID-19 Support in ICE
Once a vaccine has been approved for use by the FDA (either Expanded Access, EUA, or full licensure), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) will hold an emergency meeting and publish recommendations in a very quick time frame (i.e., days). HLN intends to release a version of ICE that includes updated COVID-19 forecasting as early as possible. The initial release will contain COVID-19 logic that is known at the time of the release. As additional, relevant information on COVID-19 becomes available from official sources, HLN will continue to release additional versions of ICE, at appropriate times.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Send us feedback about this blog